Monday, August 29, 2005

208 Stairs

The first day of school is suppose to be exciting with a dash of fear. You are suppose to get to class a little late, get the syllabus and do a little meet and greet in each class. Today did not go as planned for me.
I got up early, so that I would be ontime to class, leaving me adequate time to find my class and find a parking spot. I had pre-found a parking lot that would be ideal for my needs, and then this morning happened. The first thing I tried to do was take 800N that was my first mistake. There is no left turn light on this intersection of 8th and Univ. so the line was a block long to turn and it wasn't really going anywhere fast. So I flip a U-y and head up Bulldog toward campus. Only to find traffic just as horrendous. I then finally reach my pre-arranged lot only to find it long past full and almost impossible to escape from. So, I go in search of an additional lot and traffic is stopping me and there are pedestrians everywhere, so I see a Y lot, as my parking pass designates, and I pull in to find it almost full, but I get a spot at the very back. I then cross the street to find my way to campus from this foreign lot. I see stairs going up a hill toward campus and I know that it is the only way to get up there unless I want to make a serious backtrack 1/2 mile. So I start going up the stairs from hell that do not seem to end, going slower than all the other students that are hopping up the stairs two at a time... HOPPING!!! I get to the top of the stairs and I can't breathe, I go for the inhaler, EMPTY. This is just wrong. I try to breathe anyway and it ends up with lots and lots of coughing. I get to my first class still out of breathe and for the first half an hour of class I am coughing every two to three seconds because my lungs are dying for an inhaler.
I go to my next class and I find myself once again faced with stairs, 37 to be exact, and they were just as unpleasant as the first set, if 118 steps shorter. I survive this, but my lungs remind me that they hate me. Next class, on the third floor, up another set of 15 stairs. Then not only do I have to come up these stairs, but I have to go back down. That means that I really took like 416 stairs today.
I don't remember what my teachers said or if I have a paper due tomorrow, I remember that everyday for the next four months, I am going to have to go up and down 208 stairs.
It goes on my list of reasons why I hate BYU. Slowly killing students, one stair at a time.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm sorry Baby. Refresh your inhaler and kill all the officials at BYU for doing this to you. It's the only way to make it stop, just trust me on this one.

Unknown said...

I know how you feel with the asthma Beck. hang in there!!! And get a new inhaler!!!

Unknown said...

KILL BYU! KILL BYU!!! I mean.....yay BYU!

Unknown said...

NEW POST NOW!

Sarah said...

I agree, new post, you're boring!

Unknown said...

bored now

Justin said...

Sarah is boring.

Beth looks like a dude.