Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Too Big Clanky, Too Big

I think that I am getting too big. My back hurts, my hips hurt, my legs hurt, and my belly hurts. I attribute it all to the fact that I am just too big. My body was not made to carry this kind of a weight. I would venture to say that my body was not designed for pregnancy. It is WAY more painful than I thought it would be.

I heard a lot of formerly pregnant women talk about how uncomfortable they were in their last month, but it goes beyond mere discomfort. This is just outright pain in all the lower half of my body. My body hates me almost as much as my baby does and there is slight relief.

I've found that there are a few positions that give me relief from my aches and pains, but they are not comfortable positions. I can't even sit in my chair at work and be comfortable anymore. My chair has become my enemy. Leaning back in it causes the baby to get all active and kick me a lot, causing me pain. So, I sit up, but then my belly hits my legs and the baby is getting squished, causing me pain. So, I slide forward to the edge of my chair and sit like a man and let my belly kinda hang, but this puts a lot of pressure on the bones in my bum, which quickly go numb and... cause me pain. I cannot win!

This last month of pregnancy is just cruel. To know that I am close to when I will be out of my current misery, but not actually knowing when it will happen is close to torture. I'm ready to be done, but I still have a little over 4 weeks until my due date. And, I might even be late, which would be beyond wrong. But, I'm suppose to be positive... so, yay! I'm having a baby! Then she will be mine and I'll get to keep her and not give her to her mother when she is crying because I will be the mother. But, maybe she will like me best. Positivity is hard. How bout I'll be positive when I get to see the fruits of all my labor.

7 comments:

Adrianne Miller said...

I do not understand how some women love pregnancy! It is an absolute joke.
I wish you could have the luxury unemployed life that I lead. My chair was awful as well. I do not miss it.
Why do our kids kick in the night? That is the rudest thing ever.

Jasmine said...

(To help with your positive exercise, let me describe my last month in a few words--or more....maybe it will help you feel better)

Imagine August in Southern California in a tiny, one-bedroom, second-story apartment with no air conditioning. Hot, right? Ok, add being as pregnant as you are. Now, add an hour and a half commute combining a short car ride, a 30 minute train ride, 5 minutes on the subway, standing on the streets of downtown L.A. (in the August heat) waiting 10-15 minutes for the shuttle, then a 10 minute ride on a rickety shuttle bus to work where I sat in my somewhat-comfortable chair for 8 hours then did the same commute (in reverse) home. At least my office was air conditioned...except on the days that the air conditioning either broke or was turned way down to conserve energy (stupid energy crisis). Oh, and by the way, my boss was driving me CRAZY!!! Add to that the multiple walks across campus for office meetings with the dean. Yeah, those were fun, especially when they went too long and I started feeling sick because I hadn't eaten.

Going home was no picnic either because it was to that stuffy apartment. Many nights Joel and I decided to have cereal for dinner because it was just too hot to even think about turning on the stove.

I took work off two weeks before my due date, so that got rid of the commute, but meant 10 more hours of sitting in our apartment. Plus, I was 4 days late!

My point is this: yes, you're going to be miserable this last month, and yes, you may be late, but one thing I had to keep reminding myself of was not to resent my pregnancy because I didn't want to look back on this and remember nothing but resent for my baby. It's hard, but you're a strong woman, and you're almost there! Keep on truckin'!

:)

(Sorry for the dramatic saga, but I was trying to prove a point.)

Becky said...

Thanks Jasmine. I do feel a little better after hearing what your last month was like. I am now very grateful for my short 20 minute car ride to work.
Sometimes it is hard not to feel like I'm being the wimpiest pregnant woman ever. I forget that tons of women have been through the same situation and sometimes a worse situation.
I appreciate the perspective.

Jasmine said...

I don't think you're being wimpy. I totally understand how miserable you are. But, being positive really does help. Keep thinking about your beautiful baby. Maybe go through and organize stuff or set up furniture that's not set up yet. Keep your mind busy with things other than the pain and discomfort. It will help the time go a little faster.

Rebecca Susan said...

Oh, I am so sorry. I know this pain you speak of well, where it feels like your entire body is rebelling against you and your annoying baby only adds fuel to the fire. 4 weeks is SSSSOOO long when you're that miserable. If you have any opportunity to get to a pool, I suggest that you do. Sitting in water was the only thing that gave me any measurable relief at all.

If its any consolation, I feel so much better now than I did 3 months ago. Lets hope that annoying fetus comes out sooner rather than later (though, I must confess, that part's no picnic either).

Sarah said...

Ha ha...fruits of labor. Can I call Nicky Fruits? Fruity tooty? I'm sure she'll toot, so I feel like it would be even more applicable in that scenario.

Marie said...

Too bad you don't have a huge tub like I do...guess you'll just have to come over more often and use it.