Friday, March 01, 2013

Our Valentines

Matt and I celebrated Valentines early this year. Like three weeks early. I had won some ski passes to SnowBird at my work Christmas party last year, so Matt asked if I would give skiing one more chance. So, we decided to make it a big date that would take the place of our Valentines this year.

Matt reserved us a room at a Bed and Breakfast in Salt Lake and we left the kids with Momma Kimball and headed up to have our Valentines. The Bed and Breakfast was in this old "mansion" close to the Temple. I say "mansion" because I am sure it was a mansion in the olden days, but now it is more of a house with a lot of bedrooms. It seems the trend now a days is to have mansions with large open spaces, but this one just had like five bedrooms upstairs and two downstairs. Lots of bedrooms. It was a nice little place and our room was ship themed complete with ship wallpaper and plastic life saver.

For dinner, the night we got there, I requested Indian food, so Matt found an indian place over in Murray. We called DJ and Jenny and they came to dinner with us. They live up north now a days, so we don't get to see them as often as I would like. I keep hoping that they will move down closer to us, but it is like they work in Salt Lake. Totally lame.

So, we all met at the Indian place, that I can no longer remember the name of... I want to say Ali Baba.

My Lamb dish

Jenny and DJ

Lamb and chickpea dish

Matt got the special, complete with Kabob


Potato dish
The food was pretty good. My dish had a bunch of hard seeds and bones in it, which I disliked, but the flavor was good. But, it was super cheap, so I wasn't too disappointed. But, I think in the future, I will stick to Bombay House or Kohinoor. Those are my favorite Indian places in the valley. But, we wanted to try a new place since we were in Salt Lake.

It was really nice just to have a dinner where we weren't managing the kids. We could just eat our food and chat with DJ and Jenny. It is funny how nice it is to have a dinner where I am not fighting with the kids over every bite. Should have enjoyed all those years of uneventful dinners when I had the chance.

After dinner we went to Walmart for snacks that we did not end up eating and then headed back to our bed and breakfast. I thought that the room was nice and it was quiet because we were the only guests on the upper floor. In the morning, we got up and packed and went downstairs for breakfast that was already prepared for us. That is the awesome perk of bed and breakfast. Breakfast is made for you. Love it! I love not having to prepare my own food all the time.

Then, we headed up the canyon to snowbird for skiing! I was super nervous about skiing because the last time I went was 6 years ago when Matt and I were dating and it was a not fun experience. Read about that here. But because I had free passes, I told Matt that I would give it another try. Unfortunately, I'm about 40 pounds heavier since my last time skiing and I am not in great shape. Also, I was super nervous about it because I remembered that it was super painful last time that I did it.

But, I was trying to be brave and we went up and rented me some boots. The boots were the biggest problem last time I went. They were so painful! They were torture devices! If you want to torture me, there is no need for violence, all you have to do is put ski boots on my feet and I will talk! I have worn some really painful shoes in my time; heels, wedges, boots, platforms, ect, but nothing is as bad as a ski boot. They are evil. Anyway, we went to get me a ski boot, they picked one out for me, but it was so painful, so I asked for a bigger size that was less painful. I walked around in them for a few minutes, then I went back to the shop and asked for an even bigger size because my toes were going numb because they were just too tight. Finally, I got a pair that was not so bad, though still painful.

Matt, being the awesome husband that he is, was super patient with me and instead of using the ski passes that we had won, we got the kiddie pass (so that matt could use the full price pass another time). Matt took me to the kiddie training area and I practiced maneuvering on the skis and I rode the magic carpet and I felt comfortable enough to go over to the kiddie ski lift. But, let me point that I am not good on skiis. I have trouble moving around and it is a workout trying to go anywhere.

Another reason that we took the kiddie lift is that I am afraid of heights. Matt took me on a romantic ride on the ski lift at Sundance when we were dating and it was a terrifying ride that I did not enjoy. Bless his heart, he was just trying to do something nice for me. So, I rode the kiddie lift and it wasn't so bad. Although it hurt having the skiis pull on my legs as they dangled from the lift chair. When we got off the lift, I didn't know what I was doing and it ended with me falling. My first of many falls that day.

I am sure that you are asking yourself by now, Becky, where are the pictures of your skiing adventure. And I will tell you. Carrying skiis, a purse, poles, and boots means that I not only had my hands full, but it was all really heavy and I had no hands left for carrying a camera. Also, I don't know how I could have skiied and held a camera. With all the times I fell, that would have been bad news bears.

So, Matt showed me how you zig zag down the hill and how to slow down and turn and I did the best I could, but I just kept falling my way down that little hill. Every time I got even a little bit of speed, I seemed to lose control and fall and lose a ski. It was the opposite of fun. Also, it was super hot that day and I was just sweating up a storm. But, I toughed it out as much as I could and I went down the bunny slope twice before I had just had it and was completely done. I was hurting all over from falling so many times and my feet were killing me from the boots and I was feeling sunburnt and I was just done. Believe it or not, it took me like 2 hours to go down the bunny hill twice. That is how pathetic I am at skiing.

So, now I know for sure. I hate skiing. It wasn't just that my first experience was bad, it is that all skiing is bad. I won't do it again. I know that Matt, who loves skiing, had dreams in his mind of us being a skiing family where we could take the kids up together and teach them to ski and have fun ski days, but I had to shatter his dream because skiing is the worst. The only good part about the skiing was spending time with my husband... and removing the boots from my feet.

After my attempt at skiing, we ate at a restaurant at the resort and waited for forever for our food and paid way too much for the sub par food served to us. Then, we called it a day and headed home. I was not about to make another attempt on the slopes even though we had the time. I was just bruised and done.

And that was our Valentines. The dinner and the B&B was good and the skiing was bad. But, I did get 24 hours alone with my husband which was awesome.

On the actual Valentines day, a couple weeks after our adventure, we stayed in and watched Marie's kids for her so that she could go out with her husband. That was also awful. My kids were bad, Ree's kids were bad. There were lots of tears from the kids and from me. It was an unpleasant experience, but I did survive it. And, Marie and Anthon stayed and played Puerto Rico with me when they came to pick up their kids which was awesome because I love board games and ever since Sarah and Mark left, we don't have any one to play with us. Marie won the game, and Anthon swore he would never play the game again, but that is okay, it still turned my bad day into a good one. I really love board games. Another reason I wish DJ and Jenny were closer. They used to play games with me too.a

Oh yeah, and Matt did get me flowers ON Valentines. Daisies, my favorite. I got him nothing, because he is a better spouse than me. But, Matt likes to say that Valentines is really more for the girl than the guy.

No comments: