Thursday, March 01, 2012

I Love Reading

I love reading. I may have a reading problem. With my new tablet, I can now read ebooks from the library as well as paper books. They library's ebook rentals are awesome. I can get the books I want without having to go to the library to get them.

So, here are the books that I have read this year.


Description: This book is a mix of the Giver and Farenheit 451. In a world where books are burned and everything is decided for you, including your spouse, your job, and your life, main character girl discovers that the world might actually not be as perfect as the society makes it out to be. It is dysotopian, but with a love triangle. Who doesn't like a good love triangle?

My Impression: I really enjoyed this book. It is one of those books that sucks you in and makes you stay up until midnight reading it. I found that it was kind of a mix of stories that I have read before, but it is really the characters that make it different. The characters are very likable and the mystery of the society made me want to read more. If you like sci fi or teen romance, this is definitely worth a read.

Rating: 5 stars


Description: Sequel to Matched, main character girl fights against the society and chases after one of her "loves."

My Impression: If you liked the first book, you will like this second book, but maybe not as much as the first. I anxiously await the next book in the series.

Rating: 4.5 stars


Description: Twins Josh and Sadie find themselves drawn into the world of magic by the famous alchemyst Nicholas Flamel. They are chased down by even magicians and gods that they used to believe were myths. Real people from the history books turn out to be magicians and immortals. The twins fight to save themselves from evil while learning magic during the process.

My Impression: I rented these three books from the ebook library and I picked them out because I saw the name Nicholas Flamel and thought "Harry Potter!" But, this character is NOT based on the Harry Potter character and does not even slightly resemble the Harry Potter world. But, I do enjoy the world that the author has created. These are books definitely geared more towards children; it is all about adventure and discovery, a lot like Artemis Fowl or Percy Jackson. If you liked those books, you will like these too.

Rating: 4.5 stars





Description: Sequel to Clockwork Angel and based in the same world as City of Bones. This book ventures the idea that angels and demons are real. Tessa is the offspring of both an angel and a demon and is trying to find her origins and save the world from an evil doer with equally unknown origins. Oh yeah, and there is a love triangle. This seems to be a trend with writers.

My Impression: I love everything that this author has written and this is no exception. She writes her females as pretty, but strong and writes her males a lot like Edward Cullen. It is Twilightesque characters in a fantasy world. This book is set in old England, which gives it a whole other layer. I enjoy the fantasy world, but really I read these for the character relationships. It is like an addiction. Will Tessa choose Jem who is dying but safe? Or will she choose Will who is mysterious and dangerous? Read it, love it, become addicted.

Rating: 5 stars


Description: Percy Jackson is lost in a world of Roman Gods and demigods when he is the child of a greek god. But, he has lost his memory and doesn't know where to find it. So, he helps out the romans while on his quest to discover who he is. This is the sequel to Lost Hero and a continuation of the Percy Jackson Lightening Thief series.

My Impressions: This is a fun read. Rick Riordan builds a very entertaining world where ancient gods and creatures are real and exist in the current world. These are most definitely children's books. They are simple characters and simple plots, but they are entertaining to read. I would read this one to your 9-14 year old. But, start with the Percy Jackson series first.

Rating: 3.5 stars







Description: Set in the world of Drizzt Doerden, a young boy tries to discover his origins while fleeing from an unknown demon. The secrets of his past are hidden in the secrets of a black stone that is cursed and also bound to him.

My Impressions: If you like RA Salvatore, if you want to see more of Drizzt, this is the book to read. I loved these stories! The world is vast, the characters are many, but it is intriguing and exciting and there is no better writer and describing fight scenes. I love high fantasy, so I loved these books. I was able to rent them from the ebook library, so I was able to read through them pretty fast.

Rating: 4 stars

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I lurve books too. Thanks for reviewing some. I need to get back into reading.

Marie said...

Hmmm....I don't like reading. I didn't even read all of this post.