Tuesday, September 16, 2008

12 weeks

I'm at 12 weeks now. That puts me just one week shy of being done with my first trimester. I think that is how it works anyway. I'm starting to feel a little bit better. The nausea is ebbing, but comes back if I wait more than 2 hours to eat. So, I am still eating a lot of little meals during the day. I'm still very exhausted though. I fall asleep at like 9:30pm every night, but I always wake up tired.

Last weekend I slept and stayed in bed most of the day on Saturday and Sunday. I didn't leave the house; I hardly even left my bed. I was just so exhausted. I think my body just needs a rest after working 8 hours a day all week. Or, the baby is slowly trying to suck all the life and energy out of me in some sort of evil, master, baby plot to take over the world. Time will tell.

Yesterday was my first real baby doctor's appointment. Matt and I took a long lunch and drove over to Provo for the doctor's appointment. I got the name of this doctor from my friend Rachel and I was really excited because it is a female OBGYN, which is what I wanted. We got to the office and I had to fill out a bunch of new patient paper work and I knew that I wouldn't be able to remember all of my pregnancy symptoms, so Matt and I wrote down a list before hand. (This goes back to the baby eating my brain.)

The nurse was suppose to take my blood before the doctor came in to see me, but I think that in an effort to take over my body, the baby has made my veins unfindable/impenetrable. First, the nurse couldn't find any of my veins and had to call in a second nurse to help. Then, when they finally decided to try a vein in my wrist (which hurts way more than inside the elbow), they were able to get the needle into the vein, but no blood came out. So, of course, they dug the needle around trying to get blood to come out, but it didn't and they finally gave up on that vein. They then decided that I was dehydrated and needed to drink water before they could take my blood. So, blood taking was post-poned until after I saw the doctor.

The doctor came in and I liked her a lot. She answered all of my questions and she has a focus on the health of the family, not just the baby, because she is a family practitioner as well. That she could answer all my questions about my pregnancy symptoms was really comforting. She used that Doppler device thing and Matt and I were able to hear the heartbeat of the baby. At first, the baby was dodging the device and we couldn't hear the heartbeat because the baby kept moving, but we got to hear it for a little while. It was very surreal. It was cool to hear the heartbeat, but it was weird because there is like another human being living in me and that is a little weird. Human beings are suppose to live in houses or boxes, not other people.

So, after I saw the doctor, they moved me into a new room, with a new nurse and she also could not find my veins, but finally decided to go with the wrist vein on my other arm. It also would not produce blood, so she dug the needle around until it did. I filled one and a half vials until the blood started pooling under my skin. So, she took the needle out and had to stick me again in the inside of my elbow. This also didn't want to give blood, more needle digging, finally blood came and I filled all my vials. I don't understand why this whole process was so difficult. I have had blood taken so very many times as I have been sick so very many times and they always like to take blood and there hasn't been a problem. Hence, I think it is an evil plot of the baby.

2 comments:

AnneMarie said...

That is so cool that you got to hear the heartbeat! I always like that because it confirms that I'm not totally sick for no good reason, it's not just in my head. Now, on to the aunt advice... start drinking more water. Being dehydrated exasperates the naseua and all those other pesky symptoms. Take care of yourself!

Marie said...

The baby's evil again!

Too bad you have a fast-growing, vein impenetrating, evil baby inside you...instead of inside a house. You should name "him" E-ville or "her" E-villa.