Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas According to Becky

I saw this on a friend’s blog, so I tagged myself and decided to do it. I don’t often do tags, but I thought this might be fun.

1. Do you like hot chocolate or egg nog?

Matt and I just got a Cocomotion at Walmart, so I’m going to have to go with hot chocolate. Egg nog is good in small amounts, but really can’t be consumed in vast quantities like cocoa can.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just put them under the tree?

Santa always wraps presents! Santa hasn’t come to visit me in over a decade though, so I’m thinking that I’m on the naughty list. Maybe he will come back someday when I have children. Here’s hopin.

3. Colored or white lights on the tree/house?

I don’t really have a preference for the tree. This year we have a prelit tree, so we have white lights. I like the blue lights on the outside of the house, but Matt and I are not outside light kind of people. We are much too lazy to be putting up and taking down lights on our house.

4. When do you put up your decorations?

Decorations go up the day after Thanksgiving. I usually have the day off work on this day and so it seems like the perfect time to put up decorations. Plus, I want to get the most time with my decorations as I can and if I don’t take advantage of the entire month of December, then what is the point?

5. What is your favorite holiday dish?

I’m going to have to go with Dar Dar Dar. Delicious Jello salad, mmmmm… But, I like my newly invented variation better than the Derington tradition.

6. What is your favorite holiday memory from your childhood?

I don’t actually remember Christmases from when I was really little. So, I’m going to have go with my teenage years. One year, Mom and Bill gave all of us kids money to buy presents for each other from them. It was all very complicated, but we all hit the mall together and shopped all day and it was a lot of fun. I used to really like holiday shopping with my family.

7. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?

Absolutely! We always opened a gift on Christmas Eve. I think it used to be a pair of pajamas when we were little, but when I got older, I usually opened my stocking because it had good snacks in it.

8. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?

At the parents, we decorate with a bunch of family ornaments that have been collected throughout the years. Rarely, did we have fancy/color themed Christmas trees when we were growing up because us kids were notorious for breaking the ornaments. But, Matt and I have a red and silver tree this year. We don’t know if the glass bulbs will survive many more years as we have a baby on the way, but it is nice to enjoy it this year. Plus, we don’t have any family ornaments because it is our first Christmas at our home.

9. Snow! Love it or dread it?

I love the snow when I’m playing in it. I hate the snow when I’m driving in it. I am a very nervous snowy driver. This may be due to the fact that my car does not do well in the snow. But, it is fun to make snowmen and have snowball fights and such.

10. Do you remember your favorite gift?

My black coat. Mom and Bill bought me a floor length, black coat with a hood. I loved it so much that I wore it all Christmas day. I still have it and I still love it. Best coat ever.

11. What is the most important thing about the holidays for you?

Family. I love the time I get to spend with my family and that I get to give gifts to my family to show them how much I love them.

12. What is your favorite holiday dessert?

Pumpkin Pie! It is delicious and wonderful. DJ made a really good pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. I had three pieces, but I’m wishing I had eaten more. Mmmmm… pie.

13. What tops your tree?

A star is suppose to top my tree, but our tree top is not sturdy enough to support the star. So, right now, nothing tops our tree. Alas!

14. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?

When I was young, it was all about what I was getting. But, now that I am older, I really don’t care what I get, I just think about what I am giving. I prefer giving because it is a chance for me to be nice to my family and friends. It is a lot more difficult to give because I have to think of gifts, but way more rewarding.

15. What is your favorite Christmas song?

Silent Night. It is a classic Christmas song and can be so beautiful when sung correctly. My husband has a wonderful singing voice and I wish that he would sing me Christmas songs more often, but alas that it is usually me who is singing around the house. And, I don’t sing well, so it doesn’t sound that great. He used to sing for me when we were dating, but I guess that wears off with marriage.

16. Candy canes?

Sick! Candy canes are hard pieces of villainous candy, specifically designed to slice the eaters tongue! Don’t be fooled by the seemingly innocuous candy cane when it is really evil!

17. Do you feel Christmas is too commercialized?

What do I care? People will think of Christmas however they want to. I like it for the time I get to spend with my family and that it is a reminder of my savior’s birth. If people want to commercialize the holiday, then it is inevitable.

18. What is your favorite Christmas movie?

I like Elf because it is really funny. But, I remember the old Muppets Christmas movie that I loved as a kid. Doesn’t get much better than the Swedish Chef making Christmas dinner.

19. Can you ice skate?

H-no, but it hasn’t stopped me from enjoying trying. Really I just lack the balance and muscles to do it properly, so it is a lot of work. But, as long as I am doing it with friends or my husband, then it is fun.

20. Are all your Christmas presents ready yet?

All my Christmas presents are bought, they just aren’t wrapped. I should probably get them all wrapped, I’m just lazy.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Christmas isn't the same this year...thinking about it kinda makes me want to cry :(

Marie said...

Christmas shmistmas. You buy presents, you get presents, you read the Christmas story and then it starts all over again in 11 months.

Becky said...

Marie is scrooge!

Marie said...

Always have been. I'm not even putting up a tree this year...or any decorations. No kids, no need.