Thursday, November 18, 2010

When I Knew

Four years ago when Matt and I were dating, he took me up to Salt Lake for the Greek festival.  I had never been before (and I haven't been since), but I liked that he was introducing me to something new.

While we were there, we went into the Greek church to look around (there is beautiful architecture in there). While leaving the church a man stopped us and asked Matt about his shirt (he was wearing his Chino high shirt). We didn't know the man, but he was obviously a representative from the church. We got to talking and he asked us if he could pray for our relationship. Me, thinking that meant he would say a nice prayer for us at some point said, "Sure." Little did I know he meant right there with us... standing in the church... holding our hands... and asking us to repeat after him. It was all a little weird and uncomfortable and I could tell that Matt did NOT like it. But, it was a kind thing and he gave a nice blessing on our relationship.

Later, when we were driving home from Salt Lake and talking in the car, Matt said to me, "I'm not ever going to break up with you." And I was not scared by that response, in fact, it made me feel really good. And after a moment I said, "I really don't see myself ever breaking up with you either. I don't want to break up with you ever." After that we had a moment of silence and I realized, I knew, I could marry this man. I could be happy with this man the rest of my life.

It wasn't a really 'aha' moment, but it was more of a gradual realization that I loved Matt more than any one I had loved before and I didn't see an expiration date on my love (which I had with almost every person that I had dated before). So maybe, just maybe, that man's prayer for us in the Greek church worked its magic and that is why Matt and I are married today with 1.3 children.  Freaky.

2 comments:

Marie said...

Cute story. I don't think you've told me that one before. Thanks for sharing :)

Laura said...

I like that story. That's one to journal and tell the kids as they get older. And Heavenly Father does hear all prayers.