Monday, June 27, 2011

Books I've Read This Year

It is well known that I am an avid reader of fictional books. I don’t read those silly non-fiction books because they are lame and boring. (No Marie, owner’s manuals are not interesting and not cool to read!) 

When I was pregnant with Nicole, I lost my desire to read. I read maybe 5 books during my whole pregnancy. This was a pathetically sad number because I usually read about 30 books a year. Back in my single, college days, I read between 50-80 books a year, but that was when I was carefree and had a lot of time. Now, I’m more momish and I read when I’m feeding the baby, while Nicole watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (for the 100th time), or when Matt wants to watch Top Gear.

During my Daniel pregnancy, I did not lose the reading bug. Near the end, when I was just waiting for that baby to come, I increased the amount that I normally read. Now, I am back on my 2 books a month schedule. 

I thought that I might share some of the books that I have read this year to throw out some recommendations and to brag about how many books I can read. Just a note, these are all fantasy/sci fi books because that is the kind of girl I am.
The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan;
Synopsis: Egyptian gods are real and modern day children are related to them, but they don’t yet know it!
3 Stars
The Lost Hero-Rick Riordan;
Synopsis: Greek Gods are real and modern day children are related to them, but they don’t yet know it!
3 Stars


Shiver-Maggie Stiefvater;
Synopsis: Werewolves are real and Grace is in love with one and hopefully she is the cure.
5 stars

Linger- Maggie Stiefvater; Currently reading.
Synopsis: Sequel to Shiver
The Host-Stephenie Meyer; Pulled off my own bookshelf and read for the 3 time.
Synopsis: The human race has been taken over by parasitical aliens, but one of these aliens is not like the others.
5 stars

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets-JK Rowling; Pulled off my bookshelf and read for the 10th time.
Synopsis: Witches and wizards are real and you should really at least watch the movies if you don’t already know what this book is about.
5 stars

The Lost Saint- Bree Despain;
Synopsis: Werewolves are real and Grace is in love with one and she already cured one (sound familiar? See Shiver above. No joke, the main characters are both named Grace).
4 stars

Clockwork Angel- Cassandra Clare;
Synopsis: Angels and demons are real and one young girl discovers she is a demon, but hopefully, she is the good kind.
5 stars

Forest Born-Shannon Hale; synopsis: Magic is real and some people who live in the forest have it.
2.5 stars

Peeps-Scott Westerfeld; Pulled off my bookshelf when I had nothing else to read. This was my second read of this book.
Synopsis: Vampires are real, except it is like a parasite, kissing disease that is rapidly spreading through New York City.
3 Stars 

 Last Days-Scott Westerfeld; Pulled off my bookshelf for a 2nd read.
Synopsis: Sequel to Peeps, the disease has spread farther and is affecting rock and roll music!
2 Stars

 So Yesterday-Scott Westerfeld
Synopsis: Young kids realize that what they think is “cool” is actually decided by evil conspirators!
3 stars
Skybowl-Melanie Rawn; Pulled off my bookshelf for a 3rd read.
Synopsis: Sequel to the Dragon Prince series, Dragons are real and people can talk to each other on rays of sunlight. Oh, and there is a war.
4 stars


Dragon Token-Melanie Rawn; Pulled off my bookshelf for a 3rd read.
Synopsis: Dido.
3.5 stars

Stronghold-Melanie Rawn; Pulled off my bookshelf for a 3rd read.
Synopsis: Dido dido.
3.5 stars
 
Nightshade-Andrea Cremer; Synopsis: Werewolves are real (that brings our werewolf book count up to 3) and the packs are colliding. Things are not what they seem in the werewolf world!
4.5 stars

5 comments:

Jasmine said...

I don't know how you find the time to read! I think the last book I read cover to cover (other than children's books, because I read a TON of those) was over a year ago. Sad, but true. Maybe if I read more, I wouldn't feel like my IQ is dropping to that of a 3-year-old. Go you for keeping up your reading!

Elisebeth said...

This post was way more interesting than the phone call I was on when I read it. Hopefully I didn't need to know anything that I missed there...

Laura said...

Read any more normal, non-vampirish,non-werewolfish type books lately? Cuz I don't care what you say...they are not real.

Marie said...

You read more books in 6 months than I have read my whole life.

Becky said...

Jasmine: You do way more sewing and crafts and trips to Disneyland then I do, so of course you don't have time to read.
Lisa: Glad to have written something that will distract you from work.
Mom: Why would I read outside of my preferred genre? I've read your "feel good" books and they are boring. I like something with a little more creativity.
Marie: If you read more, all your dreams will come true.