Thursday, June 09, 2011

Working vs. Home

I went back to work this week and I miss my babies very much. I know that Nicole is 2 now, but she will forever be my baby. Matt has been wonderful enough to bring the kids to come and see me during the day this first week back. I know that this practice won't be able to continue on forever, but I have really loved it. I look forward to seeing them every day.

Transitioning back to work has not been as difficult as I thought it would be. I haven't been as emotional as I thought I would be. Seeing my baby in the middle of the day has really helped.

Work is not too different from when I left... except for my new office mate (who smokes, yuck!) and my new boss who is starting next week. Work is work, whether I am working with new people or not. I don't have as much to do as I had hoped to because some of my projects were given to other writers in my absence. Ugh!

It is difficult to not feel like I am wasting time when I could be home with my babies. But, I know, logically, that providing for my family is just as important as being with them.

The difference between being home and being at work:
-I check my email about 30 times a day rather than every other day.
-I don't get a nap.
-My day seems so extremely long!
-I am more patient with Nicoley's constant whining/crying.
-My sarcasm has increased since I now talk to adults. (Nicole doesn't get sarcasm for some reason)

This is an adjustment, but I just have to keep telling myself that the kids are with their Daddy and they are well taken care of. And, I have to tell myself that this situation is all temporary. Someday, in the not too distant future, I will be able to be home with my babies and Matt will make the sacrifice to work every day.... for the rest of our lives. I really think I am getting the better end of that deal.

The best thing about being back to work... a paycheck.

2 comments:

Marie said...

It's good you are handling this well. I expected you to cry every day. It's good that they get to spend quality time with their daddy.

Joyce said...

You know, I hear you can sleep at your desk, if you do it right. I know someone who wrote a great blog on that!

Joyce